Pinoy Pet Finder
August 23, 2019, 07:41:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Pinoy Pet Finder is not related to and does not endorse any product or service being advertised.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Color Charting Coat for your Labs  (Read 9232 times)
Shamaro-Tachri
Ancient Member

Mrs Kang said - "What I say IS ALWAYS right"

« on: March 15, 2009, 07:14:50 PM »

I've actaully heard that there are rules at times with the breeding of labs to maintian the color...and its a bit technical in some what ways...but I do sure hope that this helps...

Here's somthing that maybe interesting to those buying labs and wondering how the color comes out...

Click on the website below to undertsand the importance of color charting.

http://www.labbies.com/genetics.htm

Key:
BB = black Lab, no chocolate gene
Bb = black Lab, carries chocolate gene
bb = chocolate Lab, no black gene

Yellow is produced by the presence of a recessive epistatic gene which has the effect of masking the the black or chocolate genes.
EE = no yellow gene
Ee = yellow carrier but apears either black or chocolate
ee = yellow Lab

So....
EEBB =Basic Black (BB)
EEBb =Black that carries Choc. (Bc)
EeBB =Black that carries Yellow(By)
EeBb =Black that carries Yellow and chocolate (Byc)
eeBB =Yellow (Yy) [does not carry chocolate]
eeBb =Yellow that carries Chocolate (Yc)
eebb =chocolate pigmented yellow ~ No Black Pigment (NBP)
EEbb =Chocolate (CC) [does not carry yellow]
Eebb =Chocolate that carries yellow (Cy)

or this one -

http://members.tripod.com/~beulahland/coatcolor.htm
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 05:58:29 PM by goldengirl » Logged

One of her favorite methods of scaring humans is reaching within herself and pulling out her internal organs, and she has considerable talent for shapeshifting into various terrifying forms. She also has a talent for inducing nightmares in humans, by sticking her finger in their ear and tickling their brains while they sleep.
Pinoy Pet Finder
« on: March 15, 2009, 07:14:50 PM »

Shamaro-Tachri
Ancient Member

Mrs Kang said - "What I say IS ALWAYS right"

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 07:15:43 PM »

Coat Colour Inheritance - Labrador Retrievers
Labrador Retrievers come in three colours, Black, Brown and Yellow.  How does this happen?  Why do Yellow Dogs mated to Yellow only ever produce Yellow puppies?  Why do some Black dogs only have Black puppies, no matter what colour the other parent is?

The genetics of coat colour is quite straight forward when you have come to terms with some genetics terms and principles.
(If you know this, go straight to the Chocolate genetics page.)

DOMINANT & RECESSIVE are terms used to describe genes.  In Labrador coat colour there are two sets of gene pairs, and the dominant and recessive interplay of these genes will determine the colour of the dogs coat.

Labrador Fact
There are really only two coat colours, Black and Brown.  The Yellow dog is not the result of a colour gene, but rather the inability to Express a dark coat colour.
Three principles
Firstly - A Dominant gene will determine the colour of a dogs coat if it is present in the genetic make up, no matter what other gene is present. And so:
Secondly - A Recessive gene can only determine the colour of a dogs coat when no Dominant gene is present.
Third - Genes come in PAIRS, where one part of the gene is inherited from the mother and the other from the father.

Two Labrador Gene Pairs
One gene pair will determine dark coat colour (Black is dominant, Brown is recessive), and another pair are Expression genes: the abiliy to express a dark coat (Dominant) and the inability to express a dark coat (recessive).

All this information is better understood if we use a shorthand way to represent the two sets of gene pairs.

B - black coat colour                          b - brown coat colour

E - able to to express a dark coat    e - unable to express a dark coat

By convention, the dominant gene is shown in upper case, the recessive in lower.

A coat colour gene looks like this:  BB or Bb or bb

An expression gene looks like this: EE or Ee or ee

The interplay between the dominance issue and the two gene pairs will determine the colour of the dogs coat.

taken from:

http://users.tpg.com.au/choclab/cci/cci.htm

I do hope that this piece of information maybe useful to you guys. Grin

One of her favorite methods of scaring humans is reaching within herself and pulling out her internal organs, and she has considerable talent for shapeshifting into various terrifying forms. She also has a talent for inducing nightmares in humans, by sticking her finger in their ear and tickling their brains while they sleep.
axelennon

Good master, good master!

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 10:10:51 PM »

how about those labs that appear to have white areas or labs that are purely white?are they mixed or they're not lab at all (in the case of the white ones)..tnx

"I love a dog. He does nothing for political reasons."
kahlua

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 02:27:43 PM »

how about those labs that appear to have white areas or labs that are purely white?are they mixed or they're not lab at all (in the case of the white ones)..tnx

Very delayed reply.  Grin

Woodhaven explains the different shades of yellow (including "white") for labs: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/yellows.html

From Ashland Labradors (http://www.ashlandlabradors.net/Labradorcolor.html) :

WHITE:  It never fails, several times a week I get phone calls and e-mails for white Labs.  I tell people without trying to sound rude, that there is no such thing as a pure white Labrador.  The color yellow is the correct term, but when people see a Labrador that is of the very light cream shade, they instinctively say, “White”.  The only mention of white that I have read of is mentioned in the book “Advanced Labrador Breeding” written by Mary R. Williams.  I have produced many Labrador pups that could be classified as white when pups but they always mature to have the tale-tale signs of shading of some from or another, either on the ears, back, etc. The shading is very pale and almost unnoticeable and pigment as black as coal but I am sorry to say, it is still classified as yellow and not white.  The gene that produces pure white such as seen in the Maltese, white German shepherds, white boxers and other breeds does not exist in the Labrador.  I do understand how people can easily use the term “white lab” when they see a pale yellow but white is not a term to be truly associated with the Labrador breed.  Most of the "White Labs" being advertised from backyard breeders are lacking in suitable temperaments, proper size and seem to have more health issues.  Thus said, breeding for a "specific color" will not allow you to advance in any other area. 

SILVER LABS: I am sorry but despite some people's misguided attempts in making the general public believe that there is a  "silver gene" in Labradors is completely absurd!   There absolutely no such thing as a pure bred silver Labrador.  Those professing to breed and advertise silver Labradors are misrepresenting the color of the dog on the AKC papers.  The American Kennel club, United Kennel Club and FCI "WORLD breed standard does not recognize silver as a color for the Labrador, nor does the parent club.  These silver dogs are a result of cross breeding a Weimaraner to a Labrador along with several generations of radical inbreeding schemes.
DO NOT FALL FOR SUCH A SCAM!

Related article on silver labs: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/silverlabs.html

Other great articles can be found here: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/articles.html
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 02:32:49 PM by kahlua » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Pinoy Pet Finder is NOT related to and does NOT endorse any product or service being advertised.

Pinoy Pet Finder will not be liable for any losses or damages you may incur resulting from personal dealings in the forum..
We do not guarantee the credibility and integrity of any member in any way. Transact at your own risk.