Pinoy Pet Finder
March 27, 2019, 07:11:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Pinoy Pet Finder is not related to and does not endorse any product or service being advertised.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PPF Magazine (?)  (Read 31422 times)
doggydiva
Ancient Member

follow me @ twitter Happy_Lopez

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2010, 09:05:07 PM »

sino sposponsor???

I don't do good for the sake of good impression.I don't even give a damn for turn on'
Pinoy Pet Finder
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2010, 09:05:07 PM »

Bulk Dog Treats | Pig Ears | Rawhide Chips
koohcollette
All-Star Member

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2010, 02:48:24 PM »

medyo madugo ito tsaka magastos Embarrassed Embarrassed
pero walang impossible

alamat ng TULINDOY
FURfectFriend

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2010, 04:24:44 PM »

pwede tyu magdonate to make this possible. Smiley

We can give articles w/o payment as starter tapos kapag napublish na at nabili, pwede nang sweldohan ang writers and photographers....  whatdoyouthink grin1

may.b
Jr.Champion Member

Princey <3

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2010, 09:19:48 PM »

Or it can be non-profit, we just need to breakeven Smiley

Prince, Vodka, Happy
Grungee

If your dog is fat, you lack exercise.

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2011, 02:54:30 PM »

Sorry ngayon ko lang nabasa itong suggestion. But I know the suggestion is still up for grabs.

My career was in the magazine business. I started contributing first to many magazines then had a column, became a consultant then managing editor then finally to editor. That was my life for more than 25 years.
Magazine projects are always exciting to talk about. People think it will take off quickly because you have so many ideas about how to make it attractive. Marami kang sponsors in mind.
But putting up a magazine will bring you back to reality. Costing will go to hundreds of thousands of pesos (no joke!). Ang major source of funding mo -- the advertisers -- do not join in until your mag is around 2 years old. Big time advertisers do not want to support a publication na short time only. So they wait until you show that you're established first (mga 2 years?).Yan lang malaking cause of worry for the publishers.  If you can't raise the money -- you can't print!
Problema mo pa dyan also is circulation. If you can't publish a product where the dealers will make some money from -- they won't circulate your mag.
I once produced a pet tabloid and it clicked in the beginning because it was free. We would get calls from vet clinics or stores asking us to replenish because some people would get five copies at a time. When we started to charge even a small amount to give it value, people stopped getting. We'd come back to the vet clinics a month later and we'd find the copies untouched. Kasi may bayad na. People like FREE.
That tabloid was so popular that time (because it was the only pet newspaper) some advertisers-in-waiting asked my ad manager what happened to it. My ad manager said, "We're planning to go online."
PPF is online. You're there na. Online websites are the new global "magazines." Walang printing cost, walang circulation expenses, walang returns, and your readership reaches millions worldwide.
shakydoo
Ultimate Champion Member

Calm assertive is the key...

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2011, 01:02:04 PM »

Sorry ngayon ko lang nabasa itong suggestion. But I know the suggestion is still up for grabs.

My career was in the magazine business. I started contributing first to many magazines then had a column, became a consultant then managing editor then finally to editor. That was my life for more than 25 years.
Magazine projects are always exciting to talk about. People think it will take off quickly because you have so many ideas about how to make it attractive. Marami kang sponsors in mind.
But putting up a magazine will bring you back to reality. Costing will go to hundreds of thousands of pesos (no joke!). Ang major source of funding mo -- the advertisers -- do not join in until your mag is around 2 years old. Big time advertisers do not want to support a publication na short time only. So they wait until you show that you're established first (mga 2 years?).Yan lang malaking cause of worry for the publishers.  If you can't raise the money -- you can't print!
Problema mo pa dyan also is circulation. If you can't publish a product where the dealers will make some money from -- they won't circulate your mag.
I once produced a pet tabloid and it clicked in the beginning because it was free. We would get calls from vet clinics or stores asking us to replenish because some people would get five copies at a time. When we started to charge even a small amount to give it value, people stopped getting. We'd come back to the vet clinics a month later and we'd find the copies untouched. Kasi may bayad na. People like FREE.
That tabloid was so popular that time (because it was the only pet newspaper) some advertisers-in-waiting asked my ad manager what happened to it. My ad manager said, "We're planning to go online."
PPF is online. You're there na. Online websites are the new global "magazines." Walang printing cost, walang circulation expenses, walang returns, and your readership reaches millions worldwide.

This is good sharing of insight tita Betty, when na etong online pet magazne?

SHAKYDOO KENNEL 9328953 / 09229227895
goldengirl
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 04:58:50 PM »

Exactly, Tita Betty. That's why the idea was shelved na. First, all of us (or at least most of us) have day jobs.  Grin  Doing editing, writing up articles, etc. is time-consuming and frankly, no one who is up to doing the job has the time to spare. Second, as you say, marketing is a b*tch to do for a new magazine. We can't keep coming back to the same sponsors or we'll burn them out. And third, people will say they will buy the magazine to support PPF. But we all know that people have a way of backing out of their word. In the end, people like FREE stuff. That we cannot afford to give.

La coeur a ses raison que La Raison ne connait pas...-- Blaise Pascal
Grungee

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2011, 09:38:51 PM »

This is good sharing of insight tita Betty, when na etong online pet magazne?

I thought about it but I keep shelving it and putting it out, then shelving it again... Ad support in websites is so cheap! Hundreds of pesos lang ang bilang mo, not like my old pet newspaper where my ad manager could wangle up to P18k from a (hesitant) sponsor-to-be. I will still need to pay writers, photographer, and web master. Where the hell will the funds come from?
Then to be visible, you HAVE to create events regularly. Or else people will not know your website exists. Do you make money in events? From my experience, you don't. Advertisers would rather pay in goods because they want their products given out as giveaways or prizes to participants. You rarely see cash in events.
In the end you'll realize launching an event is just one big marketing and advertising campaign which you have to do to keep your website always in people's awareness. You'll have to join as many events as you can too for the same reason.
Hay naku, am I sounding so negative? You're right, goldengirl. Publishing is quite a b---ch, hehe. Now you know why I turned to dogs. . .
But my magazine career was quite an adventure. . . it had a lot of high points. But just don't aim to be a publisher (which a lot of people seem to find a status) unless you have a lot of moolah to advance.
ffkkennel
All-Star Member

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2011, 12:05:43 AM »

just a suggestion. why not we start a small consensus who can contribute for the magazine. such as volunteers (writers, editors, photographers) and for the funding ask the members who are willing to provide small contributions so we could start creating the magazine. and the subscription fee should be affordable. probably start from P10 if successful then you could increase the subscription fee.   

some magazines start from P5 before when they become successful the magazine now costs about P50 - P120.

Grungee

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2011, 03:40:52 PM »

Your major challenge is always the printing cost. If you want to have an idea, put together a package. Start low muna: newsprint, black-and-white photos, half the size of Animal Scene, 3-color cover, then maybe 70 pages. Get a cost estimate from a printer. But a magazine like that will look cheap; poor. It's a work you can't be proud of as saying it's a PPF publication. So you'll want an improvement: bigger size na kaya, newsprint pa rin, color photos this time. Diyan na lalaki ang costing.

I went tabloid that time because I knew what I would get into if I did a magazine.  But that tabloid had its challenges. You have to think how your product will look on the news stand -- beside other newspapers and magazines, or if standing alone on the counter at a vet clinic. It has to have a fighting presence. The product also has to feel good when held. Kung too thin (because of your budget) you won't give a good impression. Para kang kawawa. You'll have to make it a little heavy. That pet newspaper tabloid was thin when we started so the only way to compensate for that was to make it eye-catching at once, thus we went white book paper and full color (oh-uh, is it getting identified? Animal Scene watched our every issue closely).

That 8-paged tabloid alone costed me P50k everytime we printed. We printed 2,000 copies because printing cost goes lower the more copies you print. We had a hard time circulating the darn thing because dealers didn't want to distribute it for us because they made so little money out of it for all their trouble and accounting involved. But we were proud of our work and enjoyed readers' feedback. We were developing a fan following. We would get inquiries when we weren't printing. Then we decided to charge P10 to give the publication value. That's when our problem started. Nobody wanted to get it anymore. They wanted it FREE.
For a long time my garage was swamped with unsold (and uncirculated) copies. That's a mountain of bad memories.
Again, your first challenge is the printing cost. Get a cost estimate first. Then you'll know where your biggest expense will go.   

Then you can start figuring out how to raise the budget. . .
LoneWolf

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2011, 07:50:18 PM »

UNLESS IT'S FREE  Grin
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Pinoy Pet Finder is NOT related to and does NOT endorse any product or service being advertised.

Pinoy Pet Finder will not be liable for any losses or damages you may incur resulting from personal dealings in the forum..
We do not guarantee the credibility and integrity of any member in any way. Transact at your own risk.