Pinoy Pet Finder
October 22, 2014, 02:06:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Pinoy Pet Finder is not related to and does not endorse any product or service being advertised.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Distemper - For all dog lovers please read  (Read 13225 times)
goldengirl
Global Moderator

« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2011, 02:03:15 AM »

nope. it wasnt the same time. nag ka distemper na yung GR ko before the chow and aspin. the GR wasnt originally ours. adopted lang cya. but i was there when my friend took her to the vet when she tested positive for distemper on the first time. i think it was around february.

Didn't you get your GR March of last year pa? I remember seeing your post in the GR board. You said she was 4 months old when you got her last year. You said pa nga that there was only a 1-day difference in DOB between your golden and your chow. So, you mean to tell me she got sick before you got her at 4 months?

What's the vaccine protocol of your golden, chow and aspin? Updated ba boosters nila? How many shots of 5-in-1 did they get as puppies? I'm sorry for all the questions but the rise in distemper cases is alarming to me. With proper vaccines, it shouldn't happen.

La coeur a ses raison que La Raison ne connait pas...-- Blaise Pascal
Pinoy Pet Finder
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2011, 02:03:15 AM »

nica_tiger

« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2011, 04:04:35 AM »

Didn't you get your GR March of last year pa? I remember seeing your post in the GR board. You said she was 4 months old when you got her last year. You said pa nga that there was only a 1-day difference in DOB between your golden and your chow. So, you mean to tell me she got sick before you got her at 4 months?

What's the vaccine protocol of your golden, chow and aspin? Updated ba boosters nila? How many shots of 5-in-1 did they get as puppies? I'm sorry for all the questions but the rise in distemper cases is alarming to me. With proper vaccines, it shouldn't happen.

my god me too! i would like to know what is the vaccine schedule too johann29 baka makatulong sa prevention with other dog owners. i have new little ankle biter and she turns 3 months tom palang....and i have taken her out to places na rin cause i have to socialize her early...but i'm scared of her getting distemper/parvo/etc.... also i was informed that aside from the possibility of mishandling of tthe meds, there are certain vaccine brands out there that aren't really that nice, meaning di ganun ka effective but are cheaper which lead me to think that could be a cause of why the dog's immune system aren't able to fight off this disease.
johann29

« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2011, 05:42:49 PM »

yes i got her when she was 4 months old but then the original owner got her back when she came home from the US. i got her back na when she was more than a year old. at that time i have no idea on her vaccine schedule because i wasnt given a copy of her medical records when they gave her back to me. my mistake was being confident that she would be immune to distemper because she already recovered from one without any seizures.

its my fault that i was ignorant to the information on distemper. that happened to my chow. i didnt know the signs until it was too late. now again another misinformation got me. i thought she ( the golden ) would be immune after she recovered from distemper.

im usually responsible for my dogs health and well being. thats why its more of a shock that this has happened to me. this is the first time i lost friends that were too young. now i only got 1 dog. an aspin that is 9 years old. and she's is scheduled to undergo check ups next week.
goldengirl
Global Moderator

« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2011, 05:53:56 PM »

Is that the same aspin that also manifested the same neurological tics and seizures? So, she survived distemper?

In all probability, the initial vaccines were not completed (the puppy should have received at least 3 5-in-1 shots before she turned 4 or 5 months old) and, apparently, the annual booster was not administered as well. If we keep our dogs vaccinated (assuming that the vaccines were handled and stored properly), then we greatly reduce the chance that our pets will be infected with this disease.

La coeur a ses raison que La Raison ne connait pas...-- Blaise Pascal
johann29

« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2011, 06:18:23 PM »

Is that the same aspin that also manifested the same neurological tics and seizures? So, she survived distemper?

In all probability, the initial vaccines were not completed (the puppy should have received at least 3 5-in-1 shots before she turned 4 or 5 months old) and, apparently, the annual booster was not administered as well. If we keep our dogs vaccinated (assuming that the vaccines were handled and stored properly), then we greatly reduce the chance that our pets will be infected with this disease.

you're right ma'am. too bad its a costly lesson for me..  is it just me or aspins have greater resistance to sickness? or maybe its her age?
momiitintin

« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2011, 06:43:38 PM »

Hi! Nabasa ko tong post na to a few months back, pero d ko masyado pinansin dahil iniisip ko, d naman siguro magkakaroon ng distemper ang puppies namin dahil at least 2x a day ako kung magpa mop ng may lysol tapos may air purifier pakong binili pero sad to say, after weeks of colds and intermittent cough and different kinds of medications ( bromivet, broncure, immunosin, immunol), nadiagnose with distemper si bubbles.

Nung iuwi ng husband ko si Bubbles from Manila, may sipon na siya so pinacheck ko siya sa vet for health clearance. Sabi ok naman daw si bubbles may mild colds lang daw so binigyan siya ng bromivet and broncure and vitamins. Week after, due for 2nd vaccine si Bubbles pero may konting sipon pa daw so nadelay ang vaccine tas pinalitan ng immunosin ang meds niya. Next week ulit bumalik kami sa vet, may sipon pa rin daw (nung morning wala na, pero nung pagdating namin sa vet magically may sipon ulit!) so d ulit nagvaccine tas binigyan siya ng immunosin 2x a day daw and continue upto 14 days pag d nawala sipon sa 7th day. Did I mention na inaway ko na rin sila that day kasi parang d naman effective binibigay nilang gamot? stressed na stressed na yung puppy sa kakabalik sa kanila pero wala namang nangyayari. On the 9th (last sunday) day sa immunosin nagsuka siya once and nagLBM na so dinala namin sa vet and naconfine siya. Yesterday (monday) tinest siya for distemper and positive daw. The sad thing here is, I think the vets are almost positive that Bubbles won't survive this kaya I searched for vets who might be more knowledgeable in this area. I am now trying to contact Dr. Donato of VIP but he's in surgery so I'm calling him back in a while.

I feel so bad because I've always been afraid of pets and this is the first time for me to take care of a pet (the puppy is actually for our kids pero d pa nila talga kayang alagaan so ako nagaalaga) and nagbond na kami sa one month na magkasama kami. tsaka may sakit na nga bunso ko (totoong baby), pati puppy ba naman namin magkakasakit pa? sobra sobrang emotional baggage na yun. d ko naman makuhang pabayaan si bubbles kasi nga love ko na! crrrry  I'm still hoping na sana hindi distemper kaya nga I'm seeking for a second opinion in VIP (thanks for the suggestion on the first page). also, parang nawawalan na ko ng confidence sa mga vet namin dito sa pampanga, andami na kasing gamot na binigay  tapos parang palaging wala sa sarili nasa harap na nila yung file ni bubbles pero ulitimong pangalan ng pasyente nila d nila maalala!  rant

ALASAN

Epoy Tisoy Twinkle

« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2011, 12:11:31 PM »

Nang ma-distemper ang Dalmatian ng sister ko, we brought it to our vet for a second opinion. The situation was hopeless daw sabi ng vet namin. Pero may little hope din daw kahit paano. After giving it an injection and prescription, iniuwi na nila. That was Wednesday night. Eh Friday night nag-overnight sila (outing) at naiwan ang sick dog sa maids. In short, na-neglect. Pag-uwi nila ng Saturday afternoon ay naghihingalo na. Yun pala, hindi kumain the previous day. Eh dapat pala sinusubuan ng pagkain kasi naging malambing na nga.
momiitintin

« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2011, 11:06:46 PM »

Hi! Nabasa ko tong post na to a few months back, pero d ko masyado pinansin dahil iniisip ko, d naman siguro magkakaroon ng distemper ang puppies namin dahil at least 2x a day ako kung magpa mop ng may lysol tapos may air purifier pakong binili pero sad to say, after weeks of colds and intermittent cough and different kinds of medications ( bromivet, broncure, immunosin, immunol), nadiagnose with distemper si bubbles.

Nung iuwi ng husband ko si Bubbles from Manila, may sipon na siya so pinacheck ko siya sa vet for health clearance. Sabi ok naman daw si bubbles may mild colds lang daw so binigyan siya ng bromivet and broncure and vitamins. Week after, due for 2nd vaccine si Bubbles pero may konting sipon pa daw so nadelay ang vaccine tas pinalitan ng immunosin ang meds niya. Next week ulit bumalik kami sa vet, may sipon pa rin daw (nung morning wala na, pero nung pagdating namin sa vet magically may sipon ulit!) so d ulit nagvaccine tas binigyan siya ng immunosin 2x a day daw and continue upto 14 days pag d nawala sipon sa 7th day. Did I mention na inaway ko na rin sila that day kasi parang d naman effective binibigay nilang gamot? stressed na stressed na yung puppy sa kakabalik sa kanila pero wala namang nangyayari. On the 9th (last sunday) day sa immunosin nagsuka siya once and nagLBM na so dinala namin sa vet and naconfine siya. Yesterday (monday) tinest siya for distemper and positive daw. The sad thing here is, I think the vets are almost positive that Bubbles won't survive this kaya I searched for vets who might be more knowledgeable in this area. I am now trying to contact Dr. Donato of VIP but he's in surgery so I'm calling him back in a while.

I feel so bad because I've always been afraid of pets and this is the first time for me to take care of a pet (the puppy is actually for our kids pero d pa nila talga kayang alagaan so ako nagaalaga) and nagbond na kami sa one month na magkasama kami. tsaka may sakit na nga bunso ko (totoong baby), pati puppy ba naman namin magkakasakit pa? sobra sobrang emotional baggage na yun. d ko naman makuhang pabayaan si bubbles kasi nga love ko na! crrrry  I'm still hoping na sana hindi distemper kaya nga I'm seeking for a second opinion in VIP (thanks for the suggestion on the first page). also, parang nawawalan na ko ng confidence sa mga vet namin dito sa pampanga, andami na kasing gamot na binigay  tapos parang palaging wala sa sarili nasa harap na nila yung file ni bubbles pero ulitimong pangalan ng pasyente nila d nila maalala!  rant

[/quote

UPDATE:

We brought Bubbles to Manila two weeks ago. She was checked by Dr. Melai of Vets in Practice and guess what? NEGATIVE SIYA FOR DISTEMPER!!! Grin The test kit they used here in Pampanga was for the distemper anti-body and since Bubbles had previous shots for distemper, her test kit turned out positive. Now, they took another test in Vets in Practice and this time the kit is for the virus itself, and that was when we found out that she is negative of Distemper. We still don't know what's causing the colds but after more than a week of colloidal silver and phenylpropanolamine, her condition has improved significantly.  yehey
Mister.DPK

Little B

« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2011, 01:20:31 AM »

Hi guys

I need an advice. I brought my chihuahua to the vet yesterday coz of his cough. When i visited him this morning the vet said that it might be distemper, though the cbc test showed high white blood cells and low platelet count (which could be because of his recurring erlichiosis)... I am just not so sure now sa vet, parang she doesnt know what she's talking about... Going back, when she told me na it might be distemper and we can do the blood test daw for distemper i immediately said yes. After an hour, i called her to ask the test result... She then told me that Basti is "low positive" of distemper. In disbelief, i asked her what this means... She just said "meron siyang distemper". I asked what we can do (hoping to hear something good... Like antibiotics or anything) she plainly said "uwi mo nalang siya, hintayin nalang natin"
OMG. I hurriedly went to the vet and got Basti back. It really wasnt a pleasant experience with this new vet. Basti is still coughing, but i have to look for a new vet who knows her stuff and wouldn't advise her client to just pick up his dog from her clinic and wait for his dog to ....

What does this "low positive" mean? It was a sort of a blood patch test where there were two dots that have to manifest a certain dark gray color to know if the dog is positive of distemper. When we checked the patch strip of my dog's test, it wasn't a dark gray or even a gray... It was a really faint gray color that is close to nothing... So the wonderful vet's diagnosis is a "low positive" of distemper due to this faint faint light gray color of the two dots. Basti is still very alert and active (coz of the dextrose kay vet?Not so sure). Though he hasn't eaten yet and he's still coughing na parang may gusto ilabas...

Hope you guys can help me

Thanks
Spoon

« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2011, 11:46:11 PM »

pag ang puppy ba tinaamaan ng distemper ilan percent chances makasurvive?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Pinoy Pet Finder is NOT related to and does NOT endorse any product or service being advertised.

Pinoy Pet Finder will not be liable for any losses or damages you may incur resulting from personal dealings in the forum..
We do not guarantee the credibility and integrity of any member in any way. Transact at your own risk.