Pinoy Pet Finder
June 21, 2019, 08:05:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Pinoy Pet Finder is not related to and does not endorse any product or service being advertised.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Contest?  (Read 15792 times)
sirnicolay

« on: August 11, 2010, 10:26:41 PM »

Hi everyone! I recently joined here and I'm wondering why there are no more contests, events, or gimmicks? Maybe because of the season? (masarap matulog haha)  bleeh

Anyway, hopefully there will be one soon. Smiley Kung wala, maybe I can administer one (if the mods will allow me).  Embarrassed

I'm a photography teacher, btw, and I have experiences holding and judging contests. So maybe you guys can start become active again... Nanghihinayang ako e, kasi I've been reading a lot of the posts from the past and I learned a lot of things from PPF. I'm sure there are new members who are new pet owners (such as myself) who would want some excitement.

Just suggesting. Salamat po.  ayos!
Pinoy Pet Finder
« on: August 11, 2010, 10:26:41 PM »

LAWPOGI
All-Star Member

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 10:29:55 PM »

kaya pala ganda ng mga shots mu dun sa dogs mo...  ayos!

goldengirl
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 10:57:28 PM »

Events? We always hold events. Just this year we've held a dog summer camp at UPLB, a trek to Flat Rocks, a beach anniversary party in Subic and this is aside from the regular dogwalks we've organized since the start of the year (UP Diliman, Sta. Rosa, QC Circle). In fact, there's a dogwalk scheduled this Sunday --> http://www.pinoypetfinder.com/forum/index.php?topic=23713.0. Hope you could join us there.

There's also a grand meet-up on September 5, 2010 at Eastwood to coincide with the Pet Convention and Grand Launch of Pet's Life Magazine. The thread is here --> http://www.pinoypetfinder.com/forum/index.php?topic=23459.0

We usually hold our games and contests on site during events.

But sure, if you want to hold an online contest just give us an idea about the concept, rules, who will be voting and how, and, more importantly, the prize. Should be exciting.  Grin

La coeur a ses raison que La Raison ne connait pas...-- Blaise Pascal
sirnicolay

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 12:24:14 AM »

Thanks, LAWPOGI. Smiley

goldengrl: Hahaha, adding the word "events" to my post was a last second thing. Smiley I think I might be referring to "online events." Thank you for sharing with me those upcoming events. Wish I could go, but there are two problems: a. my pups are too young; one is only 11-week old; and b. I'm busy also on weekends since I teach photography as a sideline on weekends. Oh well...

But you're right. Games and contests are better on site during events. I was just looking at some of the posts from some of the forums, and it seems that there are fewer online games this year like Pet of the Month and the other photo contests.

A bit off-topic (but somehow related because I'm looking for other activities as well) I've been also browsing here and also in PCCI website about groups and clubs which I can join; I felt disheartened that I didn't see a toy poodle club. SO I posted something in the Poodle subforum; hopefully, people can also have a club so that I can talk about my pups with other poodle owners as well.

Anyway, about what I proposed, maybe we can have a photography contest for the members with creative themes. Here's a sample guideline of the photography contest which I hold in facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=434685914312&id=186437693768&ref=mf

That contest is for my students and is somewhat too technical. Maybe we can have something similar yet more considerate with the typical members of PPF.

For the prize, I can volunteer free passes (transferrable) for my photography class. But if PPF can be more generous and if you have other sponsors, maybe we can have something more enticing for everyone. Smiley

LAWPOGI
All-Star Member

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 12:59:49 AM »

@sirnicolay,
ano po kayang magandang camera, namimili po kse ko either nikon or canon?
gusto ko po kseng mag try din nang photography as hobby....
thanks...

sirnicolay

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 10:56:54 AM »

Basta Nikon or Canon, you won't go wrong.

It all depends on your budget. Though I am a Nikon camera user, I usually recommend a Canon DSLR camera for people with budget less than P40,000. The reason for this is that the Canon entry level SLRs are easier to use since the ergonomics/design is really user-friendly. An excellent camera which I often recommend for people who have more money is the Nikon D90. I think that this camera is excellent already for beginners, hobbyists, and professionals. Normally, I'm fine with any camera as long as it's either Nikon or Canon. I also recommend Panasonic Lumix LX3 or GF1 for those who don't want to get DSLRs.

Teka off-topic na to ah. Hahaha.  gagged

Vin
Ultimate Champion Member

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 11:06:47 AM »

sali ako! basta dog-themed ha Wink

wala bang prize na para sa dogs? kahit ezydog element jacket lang whatdoyouthink

the problem i see with online photo contests is the credibility of the photos submitted. i have experienced entries submitted by members but was really taken by other persons. how can we check if the member is the one who really took the photo?

this is my signature...
LAWPOGI
All-Star Member

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »

salamats @sirnicolay  ayos!
un nga din ung nikon D90 ang option ko na lng kso nag iintay ako baka may mas latest na naman..
thanks ulit....

sirnicolay

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 03:46:07 PM »

Technology never stops. There will always be a better model in the future. Smiley

Right now, D90's pretty cheap na. You can get it for about P45K with the kit lens na. Kung body lang, it's being sold for only about P33.5K from kimstore. Smiley
sirnicolay

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 03:48:12 PM »

sali ako! basta dog-themed ha Wink

wala bang prize na para sa dogs? kahit ezydog element jacket lang whatdoyouthink

the problem i see with online photo contests is the credibility of the photos submitted. i have experienced entries submitted by members but was really taken by other persons. how can we check if the member is the one who really took the photo?

That's pretty easy--the metadata of the photo is usually embedded; so one of the things to require would be for the photo to have the metadata or EXIF proving the date and time of the shot, and even the camera/flash/lens model.

I can easily check the metadata to see if the photo is really the owner's. Tapos I can double-check also for other photos taken by the same photographer for consistency.

I'm all for dog-theme photography. I have a lot of ideas swimming in my head. Smiley

Sana, the admin or mods can approve this suggestion para masaya. Smiley

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 03:52:12 PM by sirnicolay » Logged
schnuppi
Idol Member

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 03:57:04 PM »

Thanks, LAWPOGI. Smiley

goldengrl: Hahaha, adding the word "events" to my post was a last second thing. Smiley I think I might be referring to "online events." Thank you for sharing with me those upcoming events. Wish I could go, but there are two problems: a. my pups are too young; one is only 11-week old; and b. I'm busy also on weekends since I teach photography as a sideline on weekends. Oh well...

Maybe one time, you can hold exercise classes during PPF events?  Grin Pet Photography??  Grin Grin Grin At least you have an excuse to attend na  Grin
Vin
Ultimate Champion Member

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »

That's pretty easy--the metadata of the photo is usually embedded; so one of the things to require would be for the photo to have the metadata or EXIF proving the date and time of the shot, and even the camera/flash/lens model.

I can easily check the metadata to see if the photo is really the owner's. Tapos I can double-check also for other photos taken by the same photographer for consistency.

I'm all for dog-theme photography. I have a lot of ideas swimming in my head. Smiley

Sana, the admin or mods can approve this suggestion para masaya. Smiley

but exif normally only shows the date & time & the camera settings used, not the name of the person who took it, unless you set your exif with it. normally, people don't do that, and most havent even heard of exif, much more set the exif/metadata with their names haha Cheesy

looking at other photos for consistency may be a solution, but still not 100% accurate, in any case, that's the only thing we can do, plus the credibility already established by most members here.

start na Cheesy any other items for the prize? whatdoyouthink

this is my signature...
sirnicolay

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 04:47:28 PM »

Maybe one time, you can hold exercise classes during PPF events?  Grin Pet Photography??  Grin Grin Grin At least you have an excuse to attend na  Grin

Hahaha pwede pwede.  Grin Yeah, maybe I can team up with you guys and you and your pets can be the subjects of my Portraits class. Grin
sirnicolay

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 04:55:12 PM »

but exif normally only shows the date & time & the camera settings used, not the name of the person who took it, unless you set your exif with it. normally, people don't do that, and most havent even heard of exif, much more set the exif/metadata with their names haha Cheesy

looking at other photos for consistency may be a solution, but still not 100% accurate, in any case, that's the only thing we can do, plus the credibility already established by most members here.

start na Cheesy any other items for the prize? whatdoyouthink

We don't really need the names on the EXIF, and yes, I agree, that there's no 100% guarantee that the photo was taken by a certain person. I guess we have to just trust each other and somehow accept if the other persons are really very good? Cheesy

I think the only reason for cheating is if there will be a really big prize. But if it's for fun and if the prize is "normal" then I don't think people would bother to cheat.

For the prizes, of course, we need sponsors. Hehehe. As I said I can give away free passes for photography lessons. Smiley But for a doggy-related item, I can't contribute anything. Haha. Smiley

Hopefully a kind soul will donate a prize for us? Grin

Let's just wait for admin's green light or intervention or something.  Embarrassed
schnuppi
Idol Member

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 09:27:21 PM »

Hahaha pwede pwede.  Grin Yeah, maybe I can team up with you guys and you and your pets can be the subjects of my Portraits class. Grin

sigurado, madaming mag volunteer niyan! and I'm one of them... or rather, I'll volunteer my furballs Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Pinoy Pet Finder is NOT related to and does NOT endorse any product or service being advertised.

Pinoy Pet Finder will not be liable for any losses or damages you may incur resulting from personal dealings in the forum..
We do not guarantee the credibility and integrity of any member in any way. Transact at your own risk.