Pinoy Pet Finder
June 17, 2019, 11:55:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Pinoy Pet Finder is not related to and does not endorse any product or service being advertised.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are good exercises to strengthen and develop your puppy's elbows and hips?  (Read 11144 times)
papy

« on: July 04, 2011, 02:02:33 PM »

Hi! I just want to ask if anyone knows any exercise to strengthen a puppy's developing hips, muscles and elbows aside from swimming? Any way is there any place here in metro manila that has a swimming pool that allows dogs to swim???
Pinoy Pet Finder
« on: July 04, 2011, 02:02:33 PM »

ALASAN

Epoy Tisoy Twinkle

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 07:00:18 PM »

When our pekingese was a puppy, the breeder advised us to play with him, to urge him to run so his shoulder muscles would be developed.
goldengirl
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 07:39:30 PM »

Hi! I just want to ask if anyone knows any exercise to strengthen a puppy's developing hips, muscles and elbows aside from swimming? Any way is there any place here in metro manila that has a swimming pool that allows dogs to swim???

The closest dog-friendly pool you'll find is probably in the Pansol area. We've brought our dogs to swim in several Pansol resorts already. All you need to do is ask. Some are pretty accommodating. Just make sure that your puppy does not wreck the furniture or the landscaping so you will be allowed back.  grin1

How old is your puppy anyway? Walking is a great way to build up strength -- the frequency and length of the walk depends on how old your puppy is. Younger puppies need frequent but short walks. Older dogs can handle longer walks. My dog has hip dysplasia and, aside from swimming, we were advised to walk on grass as opposed to concrete to build up his strength. Until the puppy has developed a bit, you should limit jumping activities so as not to put his growing bones and joints under too much stress.

La coeur a ses raison que La Raison ne connait pas...-- Blaise Pascal
Rocky

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 09:22:13 PM »

Train your puppy to play fetch. It will be more enjoyable for you and your fur baby.  Wink

nica_tiger

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 02:38:08 AM »

sus kala ko kung sino nagtanong ng specifically for hips and elbows...kaw pala  grin1 you have to do the "family exercise" i told you about. you hold on to the leash sa end, keep it level and low as your pup. annika on a harness. keep the lead tight, restraint it while she chases your wife in front with a tug. while your wife in front gotta entice that tug. but let her win in the end. as soon as you feel that hard grip let go of the tug and let her carry it around the other direction. it's the "whole" family doing exercise and keeping in shape!  LOL Grin Wink  develop strength and that solid grip. well i guess the pup develops strength as you develop backaches...but ganyan talaga when you have a pup.
if not you can do what i always do to yukon as a default -- fetch! free run kasi un.
papy

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 07:49:31 PM »

Hahaha... yep my pups hips will strengthen but I'll be kuba because of that "FAMILY EXERCISE" Grin I'll just let my wife hold the leash.
Does Hunter have hip problem? He looks normal to me or maybe its your other dog???
goldengirl
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 07:54:07 PM »

Hahaha... yep my pups hips will strengthen but I'll be kuba because of that "FAMILY EXERCISE" Grin I'll just let my wife hold the leash.
Does Hunter have hip problem? He looks normal to me or maybe its your other dog???

I only have one dog. And, yup, Hunter's the one with canine hip dysplasia. My vet and I were able to manage the disease by using supplements, lots of low-impact exercise and proper nutrition and weight management. Smiley

papy

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 08:06:54 PM »

Can you share what supplements I can give my pup?
goldengirl
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 08:22:14 PM »

Can you share what supplements I can give my pup?

My vet prescribed glucosamine+chondroitin+MSM capsules and Vitamin C. I alternate that with Fish Oil and Vitamin E. Both glucosamine and Fish Oil address the inflammation of the joints associated with CHD. As an added bonus, Fish Oil has omega 3&6 which is good for the coat and skin.

Happywillows
Gladiator Member

Nobody shoots at Santa Claus.

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 08:41:10 PM »

Just let your pet play preferably on grass twice a day 15 minutes each and roaming free (inside the house) most of the time.  The play (and free movement) will develop muscles and strengthen the bones and joints.  Some say that exercise may also induce the bone to be much denser and bigger.

Also, observe the weight. Trim the nails.  And feed her highly biologic food - a good example is fresh meat.  Good luck!
nica_tiger

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 02:35:07 AM »

goldengirl: is it ok to give glucosamine+chondroitin to pups? like 4month old? i've given that to my dogs before but i started at 11mos up (someone told me that) so just wondering if pwede rin ba sa pup at a younger age?
goldengirl
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 09:36:36 AM »

goldengirl: is it ok to give glucosamine+chondroitin to pups? like 4month old? i've given that to my dogs before but i started at 11mos up (someone told me that) so just wondering if pwede rin ba sa pup at a younger age?

That I don't know. Hunter started his glucosamine regimen at 7 months when he got diagnosed with CHD. The improvement in his mobility was really noticeable after about a month of taking the supplement. He used to limp badly before that (although can't say if that was all because of the gluco since he was also doing water exercises at the same time). You have to make sure though that you give vitamin c together with the glucosamine. The body needs vitamin c to synthesize the glucosamine otherwise it won't be as effective (just like you have to pair fish oil with vitamin e to be effective).

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

juris159

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 10:12:06 AM »

That I don't know. Hunter started his glucosamine regimen at 7 months when he got diagnosed with CHD. The improvement in his mobility was really noticeable after about a month of taking the supplement. He used to limp badly before that (although can't say if that was all because of the gluco since he was also doing water exercises at the same time). You have to make sure though that you give vitamin c together with the glucosamine. The body needs vitamin c to synthesize the glucosamine otherwise it won't be as effective (just like you have to pair fish oil with vitamin e to be effective).

Atty. Jen, paano po ba na diagnosed ng vet na meroon CHD si Hunter? Bone X ray po ba gamit?Before niyo po ba dinala si Hunter sa vet, he(Hunter) was exhibiting symptoms ng HD like parang medyo me difficulty or pain siya in walking na parang sort of arthritis? Also, after na nalaman niyo na meroon siyang HD, did you notify the breeder about it? If yes, what did the breeder do? I am sure na wala kayong balak ibalik si Hunter sa breeder kc napamahal na siya sa inyo but gusto ko lang malaman kung ano po ang ginawang next action ng breeder na nalaman niya na puwede palang magkaroon ng HD ang mga litters niya from his breeding?  And halimbawa, after a few months malaman natin na me HD ang binili nating puppies; meroon po ba tayong rights or warranties regarding the sale?

Yon po bang glucosamine regimen pwede administer sa pup kahit wala pa siyang HD just for prevention? Medyo na praning yata ako ngaun sa HD when I read your posts. Kadalasan kc ng nagkaka HD are medium to large breed and prone iyong breed ng 2 bunso ko sa HD. 

BTW, I am glad na hindi pinahihirapan si Hunter ng HD niya. I hope he is not in pain. Lucky si Hunter to have you as his pet parent. 

*N.B. HD- hip dysplasia 
goldengirl
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 10:37:40 AM »

Atty. Jen, paano po ba na diagnosed ng vet na meroon CHD si Hunter? Bone X ray po ba gamit?Before niyo po ba dinala si Hunter sa vet, he(Hunter) was exhibiting symptoms ng HD like parang medyo me difficulty or pain siya in walking na parang sort of arthritis? Also, after na nalaman niyo na meroon siyang HD, did you notify the breeder about it? If yes, what did the breeder do? I am sure na wala kayong balak ibalik si Hunter sa breeder kc napamahal na siya sa inyo but gusto ko lang malaman kung ano po ang ginawang next action ng breeder na nalaman niya na puwede palang magkaroon ng HD ang mga litters niya from his breeding?  And halimbawa, after a few months malaman natin na me HD ang binili nating puppies; meroon po ba tayong rights or warranties regarding the sale?

Yon po bang glucosamine regimen pwede administer sa pup kahit wala pa siyang HD just for prevention? Medyo na praning yata ako ngaun sa HD when I read your posts. Kadalasan kc ng nagkaka HD are medium to large breed and prone iyong breed ng 2 bunso ko sa HD.  

BTW, I am glad na hindi pinahihirapan si Hunter ng HD niya. I hope he is not in pain. Lucky si Hunter to have you as his pet parent.  

*N.B. HD- hip dysplasia

off topic

When he was about 4 months I already noticed that he has a bunny-hopping gait when running and he has a strange way of sitting. He did not look like he was in pain. Of course I knew about HD in goldens but I never thought it would happen to us. So, I was in denial. As he grew older, I would notice that he'd get tired easily and would just sit or lie down when he's had enough. One time he started limping after play so I brought him to his vet. He was x-rayed under anesthesia (to position his hips properly) and CHD was confirmed.

I informed the breeder and he offered to replace Hunter and of course I declined. All I wanted was to inform him so that he could, in turn, inform the other owners. He has stopped breeding the dam, the stud also was not used anymore. He encouraged the other owners to test their dogs and to not breed them because of the possibility of HD in the line. Thankfully, none of the puppies ended up in breeding homes. One sister also has it. Unfortunately, not all breeders are as open-minded. Some keep breeding the same dogs notwithstanding that they've produced several dysplastic dogs.

Your "rights" depends on your contract with the breeder. If you don't have a contract, well, you know what will happen. Charge to experience na lang.

You can't prevent CHD by giving supplements. It's genetic - the dog is born that way. If he has it then he has it. Giving suppplements will probably delay the manifestation of the disease but not prevent it. Depending on the severity of the disease, it could be managed. Otherwise surgery is the option.

The only way to "prevent" it is by choosing a breeder wisely. Make sure your breeder tests their dogs and obtains OFA or other clearance for hips and elbows prior to breeding. "Looks normal" is not an accurate way to guage hip structure.

I'll send you an invite to our Facebook hip dysplasia group. We have a lot of info and resources there.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 01:16:12 PM by goldengirl » Logged

nica_tiger

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 01:06:47 PM »

ya when i was giving gluco i gave vit c to yukon and my other dogs. but i started it 1yr old pala sila, til mga 1 year lang. just for the joints since we start doing jumps that time sa mondio...but maybe it's because reseta sa inyo kaya pwede. i don't know rin nga e...i guess we can ask the vet later...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Pinoy Pet Finder is NOT related to and does NOT endorse any product or service being advertised.

Pinoy Pet Finder will not be liable for any losses or damages you may incur resulting from personal dealings in the forum..
We do not guarantee the credibility and integrity of any member in any way. Transact at your own risk.