Pinoy Pet Finder
June 19, 2019, 08:06:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Pinoy Pet Finder is not related to and does not endorse any product or service being advertised.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vaccination Schedules  (Read 140534 times)
kahlua

« Reply #270 on: August 29, 2011, 07:31:32 PM »

What's 2 in 1 shot? 5 in 1 shot and above lang ang alam ko. Lahat ng dogs ko kahit noong puppy pa lang sila, they have never had that 2 in 1 shot kc wala naman vet na nag suggest na gawin yan. I suggest you better ask your vet kung ano ba iyang 2 in 1 shot and para saan iyan. 

If I'm not mistaken, 2-in-1 vaccinates against distemper and parvo. Dr. Jean Dodds and Dr. Ronald Schultz in the US, who've been studying immunization and vaccine protocols, call these the core vaccines.

For reference:
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM
http://www.critteradvocacy.org/Canine%20Vaccination%20Guidlines.htm
http://www.wholisticvetcare.com/id56.htm

Pinoy Pet Finder
« Reply #270 on: August 29, 2011, 07:31:32 PM »

juris159

« Reply #271 on: August 29, 2011, 08:53:22 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, 2-in-1 vaccinates against distemper and parvo. Dr. Jean Dodds and Dr. Ronald Schultz in the US, who've been studying immunization and vaccine protocols, call these the core vaccines.

For reference:
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM
http://www.critteradvocacy.org/Canine%20Vaccination%20Guidlines.htm
http://www.wholisticvetcare.com/id56.htm

Thanks for the info, Kahlua.

According to the article you have provided. there's this core and non core vaccines and dahil less chance ang exposure ng dogs sa leptospirosis sa Texas and other areas, only the parvo and distemper ang recommended and it can be administered every 3 years thereafter or more often if desired. Also. mas malaki  raw ang risks ng side effects kesa sa benefits pag nag administer ng leptospirosis shot. But since siguro we have cases of leptospirosis here in our country affecting both humans and dogs, recommended din na mag 5 in 1 shot kc aside from the leptospirosis, rampant din ang hepatitis sa atin.  Opinion ko lang eto.

So kung susundin ni Bones ang recommendation ng vet niya and if we'll follow the research of Jean Dodds and Dr. Ronald Schultz, ang pinagtataka ko ay bakit kelangan mag follow up pa ng 5 in 1 shot yong puppy ni Bone samantalang according to the said research  2 in 1 shots lang ang kelangan. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:04:33 PM by juris159 » Logged
kahlua

« Reply #272 on: August 29, 2011, 11:24:10 PM »

Thanks for the info, Kahlua.

According to the article you have provided. there's this core and non core vaccines and dahil less chance ang exposure ng dogs sa leptospirosis sa Texas and other areas, only the parvo and distemper ang recommended and it can be administered every 3 years thereafter or more often if desired. Also. mas malaki  raw ang risks ng side effects kesa sa benefits pag nag administer ng leptospirosis shot. But since siguro we have cases of leptospirosis here in our country affecting both humans and dogs, recommended din na mag 5 in 1 shot kc aside from the leptospirosis, rampant din ang hepatitis sa atin.  Opinion ko lang eto.

So kung susundin ni Bones ang recommendation ng vet niya and if we'll follow the research of Jean Dodds and Dr. Ronald Schultz, ang pinagtataka ko ay bakit kelangan mag follow up pa ng 5 in 1 shot yong puppy ni Bone samantalang according to the said research  2 in 1 shots lang ang kelangan. 

Different vets have their own vaccination protocols. Majority here do not follow the recommendations of the AVMA. It is up to pet owners to discuss this info with their trusted vets and decide what they want to do for their pets. If you'll back read this thread, I emailed Dr. Dodds and Dr. Schultz myself to ask about the vaccinations being done here and I posted their replies. Dr. Schultz replied that the 5-in-1 would suffice.

bones

« Reply #273 on: August 30, 2011, 08:39:19 AM »

thanks po sa mga inputs  it really helps,  i decide not to give my pups 2 in1 . i will give them 5in i . thanks
kahlua

« Reply #274 on: October 28, 2011, 12:51:44 PM »

Good News About the Latest Canine Vaccination Guidelines
by Dr. Becker
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/10/27/new-canine-vaccination-guidelines.aspx

The American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) Canine Vaccination Task Force has updated their vaccination guidelines for 2011.

According to AAHAnet.org:

Developed in a manner consistent with best vaccination practices, the 2011 Guidelines include expert opinions supported by scientific study, published and unpublished documents, and encompass all canine vaccines currently licensed in the U.S. and Canada. The task force that developed the guidelines included experts in immunology, infectious diseases, internal medicine, law, and clinical practice.

I'm encouraged by, if not blissful about the new guidelines.

The absolute highlight is that all core vaccines with the exception of the 1-year rabies are now recommended at 3-year or greater intervals.

Even more exciting is the task force has acknowledged that in the case of the non-rabies core vaccines, immunity lasts at least 5 years for distemper and parvo, and at least 7 years for adenovirus.

Hopefully these new guidelines will help more dog owners understand the long-lasting effect of those puppy shots! And hopefully, more dog owners will now request titers rather than automatically revaccinating their canine companions for distemper, parvo and adenovirus.

Summary of New AAHA Canine Vaccination Guidelines for 2011

Please note: My vaccine recommendations and those of Dr. Ronald Schultz, follow this summary.

CORE VACCINES

Canine Distemper (CDV)

Initial vaccination in puppies < 16 weeks of age

* Starting at 6 weeks, vaccinate every 3 to 4 weeks (6, 10, 14 or 8, 12, 16 weeks) up to 14 or 16 weeks; final shot should be given between 14 and 16 weeks to minimize risk of maternal antibody interference

Initial vaccination in dogs > 16 weeks of age

* One dose

Revaccination

* For puppies who received initial vaccination series by 16 weeks, a booster no later than 1 year after completion of initial series, then ? 3 years thereafter
            * For dogs who received initial vaccination after 16 weeks of age, every ? 3 years thereafter

Notes: Among healthy dogs, distemper vaccines are expected to induce immunity for at least 5 years.

Canine Parvo (CPV-2)

* Starting at 6 weeks, vaccinate every 3 to 4 weeks (6, 10, 14 or 8, 12, 16 weeks) up to 14 or 16 weeks; final shot should be given between 14 and 16 weeks to minimize risk of maternal antibody interference

* One dose

Revaccination

* For puppies who received initial vaccination series by 16 weeks, a booster no later than 1 year after completion of initial series, then ? 3 years thereafter
            * For dogs who received initial vaccination after 16 weeks of age, every ? 3 years thereafter

Notes: Among healthy dogs, distemper vaccines are expected to induce immunity for at least 5 years.

Canine Adenovirus (CAV-2)

* One dose

Revaccination

Notes: Among healthy dogs, distemper vaccines are expected to induce immunity for at least 7 years.

Rabies 1-year

* One dose not earlier than 12 weeks or as required by law

* One dose

Revaccination

* For all dogs: annually as required by law

Rabies 3-year

* One dose not earlier than 12 weeks or as required by law

* One dose

Revaccination

* For all dogs: within 1 year of initial dose regardless of age at time of initial dose, then every 3 years thereafter as required by law

NON-CORE VACCINES

Measles Vaccine (MV)

This vaccine is supposed to provide temporary immunization of young puppies against distemper by 'cross-protecting' them against the disease in the event there are still maternally derived antibodies present. It is always given in combination with other vaccines – distemper plus measles, or a 4-way combination of distemper plus measles plus adenovirus plus parainfluenza.

It is only recommended for healthy dogs between 6 and 12 weeks of age.

Canine Parainfluenza (CPiV)

There are two delivery systems for this vaccine – intranasal and parenteral (injected).

This is a flu vaccine. The intranasal form prevents clinical signs of illness, infection and shedding. The injected form prevents clinical illness, but not infection or shedding. It is used for dogs that aggressively resist intranasal delivery.

The parenteral vaccine is always given in combination with certain core vaccines; the intranasal form is always given in combination with the bordetella vaccine alone, or with bordetella plus adenovirus.

It is always given in a single dose. Revaccination recommendations, depending on the form of the vaccine (intranasal or parenteral), are per the combined core vaccine schedule, annually, or more frequently for 'high risk' animals.

Bordetella (Bb) Vaccine

The bordetella vaccine can also be delivered intranasally or by injection.

Parenteral administration requires two doses, 2 to 4 weeks apart. For the initial vaccination, it is recommended the second dose be given at least a week before the dog is boarded, attends a dog show, etc. Revaccination is recommended annually

The intranasal vaccine is single dose, with revaccination recommended annually or more often for 'high risk' dogs. Some dogs experience side effects for 3 to 10 days after vaccination, including coughing, sneezing and nasal discharge.

Canine Adenovirus (CAV-2) – Intranasal

The intranasal form of the adenovirus vaccine is a non-core vaccine.

It's recommended for dogs at risk for respiratory infection caused by the adenovirus, and it may not provide immunity against canine hepatitis. It should not be considered a replacement for the injectable form of the vaccine.

This vaccine is available only in combination with the intranasal bordetella and parainfluenza vaccines.

Canine Influenza

Vaccine is given in two doses, 2 to 4 weeks apart, in dogs older than 6 weeks. Annual revaccination is recommended.

Borrelia burgdorferi (Lyme disease)

Vaccine is given in two doses, 2 to 4 weeks apart, in dogs older than 12 weeks of age. Revaccination is recommended annually and/or at the beginning of tick season as determined regionally.

Notes: Recommended only for use in dogs with known risk of exposure, living in or visiting regions where exposure risk is high or where Lyme disease is endemic. Tick control products are required in addition to the vaccine.

Leptospira interrogans

This refers to the 4-way killed whole cell or subunit bacterin. The 2-way killed bacterin form of this vaccine is not recommended.

Vaccine is given in two doses, 2 to 4 weeks apart, in dogs older than 12 weeks of age.  Revaccination is recommended annually, but only for dogs with reasonable risk of exposure.

Notes: Vaccination should be based on known geographic occurrence/prevalence and exposure risk of the individual dog.

Canine Oral Melanoma

This vaccine is only available for treatment of dogs with malignant melanoma. It is not intended for the prevention of oral melanoma.

Crotalus atrox (Western Diamondback rattlesnake vaccine) (toxoid)

Field efficacy and experimental challenge data in dogs are not available at this time. (Vaccine efficacy and dose recommendations are based on toxin neutralization studies conducted in mice.)

Canine Coronavirus (CCov)

This vaccine is not recommended. Neither the modified live nor the killed CCov vaccine has proved effective against combination coronavirus/parvo disease. Only the parvo vaccine is protective against dual viruses.

What Dr. Ron Schultz Recommends

For those of you not familiar with Dr. Schultz, I recommend you watch my 4-part video series with him. You can find links to all 4 videos and articles here.

Dr. Schultz is one of the preeminent experts in the field of veterinary vaccines. If you read the full AAHA vaccination guidelines report, you'll see his work referenced throughout.

Dr. Schultz recommends not starting a puppy or kitten core vaccination program before 6 to 8 weeks of age, with revaccinations no more frequent than every 4 weeks. So for example, if you start the program at 8 weeks, you would give another dose of the core vaccines at 12 weeks, and the third dose at 16 weeks.

Dr. Schultz's core vaccine protocol for his own family's pets differs in that he actually runs antibody titers on the mother to know exactly when the best time is to effectively immunize the puppy or kitten for the 3 core viruses. Then he titers the little ones 2 or more weeks after the vaccine, and as long as the response is adequate, he doesn't in most cases revaccinate for the rest of the pet's life.

When it comes to rabies vaccines, Dr. Schultz gives the first vaccine after 4 months of age, revaccinates in a year, and then again in 3 years and every 3 years thereafter. In other words, he follows the law for 3-year rabies vaccines, even though he doesn't believe a vaccination every 3 years is necessary for immunization.

Currently Dr. Schultz is in year 4 of a 7-year study of the rabies vaccine. You can read more about the study at the Rabies Challenge Fund. His goal is to be able to recommend that after an animal is vaccinated at from 12 to 24 weeks for rabies, there's no need for re-vaccination every 3 years.

Hopefully we'll see the results of his 7-year study reflected in a future revision of the AAHA's canine vaccination guidelines, as well as in state and local laws.

My Vaccination Protocol

My protocol at Natural Pet is a first round of the 3 cores before 12 weeks of age, usually around 9 to 10 weeks. Then I boost between 15 and 16 weeks. Then I titer 2 weeks after the second round to see if the animal has been immunized and not just vaccinated.

My rabies protocol mirrors Dr. Schultz's, except I prefer to wait until 6 months of age before giving rabies vaccine.

As for the non-core vaccines, I don't recommend any of them. Visit the following pages for a discussion of:

* Canine flu vaccines
        * Bordetella vaccine
        * Lyme disease vaccine
        * Leptospirosis

Note several non-core vaccines are only available in combination with other vaccines, some of which are core. I recommend you check with your vet to ensure none of the non-core vaccines are being piggy-backed on core vaccines your pet receives. Most traditional vets do not carry single vaccines, so ask to see the vaccine vial before assuming your pet is only receiving one agent at a time.

Source:  Veterinary Practice News September 26, 2011
Source:  AAHAnet.org

juris159

« Reply #275 on: October 28, 2011, 01:12:11 PM »

Cool!!! Distemper and Parvo every 3-5 years na lang depending kung healthy ang pups. I wonder, ano kaya maging reaction ng karamihan sa mga vets? Kaya lang, I heard of cases na kahit me vaccine shot na ng distemper, nagkakaroon pa rin. Dapat siguro talagang sa kilalang magaling na vet ka pumunta for vaccinations para siguradong properly administered.

Thanks for sharing, kahlua.
kahlua

« Reply #276 on: October 28, 2011, 01:26:02 PM »

Cool!!! Distemper and Parvo every 3-5 years na lang depending kung healthy ang pups. I wonder, ano kaya maging reaction ng karamihan sa mga vets? Kaya lang, I heard of cases na kahit me vaccine shot na ng distemper, nagkakaroon pa rin. Dapat siguro talagang sa kilalang magaling na vet ka pumunta for vaccinations para siguradong properly administered.

Thanks for sharing, kahlua.

These links are pretty comprehensive in explaining why vaccination failure occurs:
http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/vaccination-failure.html
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1648&aid=966

Most vets will most likely still prefer to give annual vaccinations. I think we know why. Grin

wellcris

« Reply #277 on: January 02, 2012, 07:34:47 PM »

sir / ma'am question lang po. yung maaquire ko kaseng puppy once pa lang ang 5 in 1 vaccine nya a deworm scratch and he is already 3 months. gagawin ko lang po ba yung protocol na deworn tas 3x 5 in 1? maraming salamat po sa magiging inputs nyo. happy new year!! peace
bruppy

« Reply #278 on: January 02, 2012, 09:42:14 PM »

Kelan ba yung last vaccination nung pup mo? kasi pag ka alam ko kelangan 2weeks lang ang pagitan ng vaccines tapos kelangan ipa shot na ulit ng 5in1, pag lumampas kelangan atang ulitin kasi nawawala na sa system nila yung live vaccines parang ganun.

jimbryan23

« Reply #279 on: January 06, 2012, 12:02:33 AM »

Just bought a JRT pup. DOB is OCt. 14...She already has 3 shots of 5in1 on the 7th, 9th and 11th week. She is scheduled for
Rabies shots on Jan.19 as per the vet record given by the breeder...My question is should I still get another 5in1 shot on the 16th week after
she gets her rabies shot?
leiodungo

« Reply #280 on: April 07, 2012, 09:56:10 AM »

Thank you so much for this! thanks

impulse2000

« Reply #281 on: April 07, 2012, 07:35:36 PM »

hello po..
DOB po ng puppy ko is jan 22
nakuha ko po sya meron na 2 shot of 5 in1 and deworm
ang program po nya is

march 6= 5 in 1 w/ deworm  (sabay po)
march 21= 5 in 1 w/ deworm (sabay po ulit)
april 4 = 5 in 1
april 21 = deworm
april 18 = 5 in 1

ok lang po ba na naging sabay yung deworm and 5 in 1 shot nya?
nid po ba talaga na i deworm pa sya sa 21?
and ok lang po ba na 4 shot na sya ng 5 in 1?

thank you po ..

centvi

« Reply #282 on: April 08, 2012, 12:35:50 AM »

hello po..
DOB po ng puppy ko is jan 22
nakuha ko po sya meron na 2 shot of 5 in1 and deworm
ang program po nya is

march 6= 5 in 1 w/ deworm  (sabay po)
march 21= 5 in 1 w/ deworm (sabay po ulit)
april 4 = 5 in 1
april 21 = deworm
april 18 = 5 in 1

ok lang po ba na naging sabay yung deworm and 5 in 1 shot nya?
nid po ba talaga na i deworm pa sya sa 21?
and ok lang po ba na 4 shot na sya ng 5 in 1?

thank you po ..

1. Okay lang na sabay ung deworming at 5 in1 shots nya

2. Yeah he's still needs deworming dapat nga eh 2, 4, 6 & weeks old ang deworming sessions nya

3. Depende sa program ng vet. Ung program ng dog ko eh 4 na 5 in 1 lang talaga

peace peace peace peace peace

Wild animals never kill for sport.  Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow-creatures is amusing in itself.  ~James Anthony Froude, Oceana, 1886
impulse2000

« Reply #283 on: April 08, 2012, 12:57:07 AM »

1. Okay lang na sabay ung deworming at 5 in1 shots nya

2. Yeah he's still needs deworming dapat nga eh 2, 4, 6 & weeks old ang deworming sessions nya

3. Depende sa program ng vet. Ung program ng dog ko eh 4 na 5 in 1 lang talaga

peace peace peace peace peace

same po tayo 4 shot na 5 in 1 ang naka sched sa kanya.

thank you so much po  Grin

dr.hypochondriac

« Reply #284 on: July 22, 2012, 07:25:27 PM »

So I have two 6-month old poodles that I'm having dewormed and vaccinated in our nearby vet clinic. I'd just like to consult with the experienced people here if the vet's vaccination/deworm schedule complies with the regular schedules followed by other vets. I don't know much about this kasi and I don't want to be taken advantage of just because I'm not so familiar with the correct schedules.

The veterinarian wants to give 4 shots of 6-in-1 (Canine Distemper, Adenovirus Type 2, Coronavirus, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus + Leptospira Canicola, Icterohaemorrhagiae Bacterin) together with 4 shots of deworming (Proxantel All Wormer Tablets). All these are to be given 2 weeks apart. So that's a total of 4 shots of 6-in-1 and 4 shots and tablets of deworming.

Also, the pricing for the vaccination is PHP450 and for the deworming is PHP350. I'd also wanna have an idea if such prices fall within the normal price range.

Thank you so much for your input everyone. Hoping you can help me out with this.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Pinoy Pet Finder is NOT related to and does NOT endorse any product or service being advertised.

Pinoy Pet Finder will not be liable for any losses or damages you may incur resulting from personal dealings in the forum..
We do not guarantee the credibility and integrity of any member in any way. Transact at your own risk.