Pinoy Pet Finder
June 18, 2019, 09:36:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Pinoy Pet Finder is not related to and does not endorse any product or service being advertised.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soft Shell Turtle  (Read 17904 times)

« on: June 15, 2007, 09:21:34 PM »

This is a description of the Soft Shell Turtle. Smiley

These New World species range from Canada, through the U.S. east of the Rockies, down into northern Mexico. softshelled species are also found in northern Africa, through Israel up into Turkey, in the Amur region in the former USSR, and from China and Korea down through southeast Asia, including species introduced into Hawaii.

The most common in the pet trade and captivity are the smooth softshell (Apalone mutica), the Florida softshells (A. ferox) and the eastern spiny softshell turtles (A. spinifera spp.), whose natural range extends from southern Ontario and Quebec, through the northern U.S. from Montana, Wyoming and Colorado east to New York, Vermont, and south to Georgia and into Florida and Mexico.

A. mutica are pale-medium brown, the males with more dark spotting than the females. The A. spinifera spp. are medium brown with darker spots and blotches on their shell. A. ferox hatchlings have a dark brownish carapace with blotching markings on the shell; these markings tend to blend out into a more uniform dark brown color over the carapace. The hatchlings also have a yellowish-orange stripe around the outside of the shell and along the face. On the A. spinifera, the markings are fainter, and the carapace's leading edge is lined with small spiky projections.

The softshells truly have soft shells: in fact, their shells are mostly thickened skin. As such they are much more vulnerable to injuries from rocks and bites than are other hard-shelled turtles. They are highly aquatic, spending most of their time under water, often buried under the sandy or muddy river or lake bottoms with only their long probiscus topping the surface. Like many aquatic amphibians, softshells respire through their skin as well, thus are particularly susceptible to impurities in the water.

Softshells are found in a variety of waters: lakes, ponds, streams, rivers, even ditches. Some species are quite aggressive. They are carnivores and as such are able to render some very painful bites should they be so inclined. In some parts of their range, they are an important food item, especially the larger Asian specimens which may reach 36" in length.

Due to their aggressive tendencies, especially if overcrowded, they should be kept single or in pairs. Pairs should be monitored closely to assure that one is not attacking the other; bite marks on the fleshy carapace or plastron are one indicator, and severe injuries have been inflected on their sensitive noses, as well, from aggressive conspecifics.

Softshells are very shy around humans, and often will not come out much when any are around. Food intake must be monitored by looking to see that food offered disappears and that feces appear regularly. When kept in a home they should be in a low traffic, low noise area.

Aquaria should be established with a thick enough layer of clean fine sand at the bottom to enable the turtle to completely bury itself. The sand should be covered with enough water to completely cover the turtle but not so deep that it cannot extend its neck and get its head above the surface of the water. Water must be kept very clean. softshells are more susceptible to impurities, whether feces or toxins or rotting food, in their water than are other aquatic turtle species.

Like most aquatic turtles, softshells must be able to haul themselves out of the water onto a warm and dry basking area. Basking temperatures of 85 F (warmer for the Florida softshells) are required during the day. Water temperatures can range from 70-80 degrees. Basking heat should be provided by an overhead incandescent light. Special UVB fluorescent lighting is not necessary.

In the wild, softshells feed primarily on invertebrates and crayfish, sometimes found scavenging on fish, as well as a variety of aquatic vegetation. Some larger species snag ducks and other small aquatic birds by grabbing them from below. Other species may feed on frogs, tadpoles, mudpuppies, snails, molluscs, and worms. In captivity, they can be fed on meats (cook chicken first!) and dog food; turtles greater than 8 inches carapace length should only get low fat/low protein dog foods. An assortment of feeder fish and invertebrates may be offered as well.

Pinoy Pet Finder
« on: June 15, 2007, 09:21:34 PM »

rd_07

this is my option...

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 01:34:12 PM »

if u will feed them with fresh pork flesh in just a month blis lumaki nyan the problem you'd only get is they become more aggressive and ry to kill each other...and one thing more during their mating fatal injuries may accur kya dapat lagi malinis tubig mo to prevent deseases...
even though they look cute,they definitely give a nasty bite like the aligator snapping turtle so be aware,my brother played one with the shell size of 3 1/2inch and it ripped his skin and took some flesh...

spare your t
Thunder Thighs

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 03:21:24 PM »

my brother played one with the shell size of 3 1/2inch and it ripped his skin and took some flesh...

that's pretty scary .  I didn't know turtles could be so vicious.  Someone is selling one in the For Sale section for 800 bucks
Deydey
All-Star Member

The only thing that's constant is change.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 03:41:58 PM »

my brother played one with the shell size of 3 1/2inch and it ripped his skin and took some flesh...

that's pretty scary .  I didn't know turtles could be so vicious.  Someone is selling one in the For Sale section for 800 bucks

Yup and they could snap your fingers of if you're not carefull. From my recollection a breeder was featured in a TV program waaaay back where he had a pond full of them and mentioned that they're good eating!
findpro2005

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 10:13:57 PM »

1. Tatanong ko lang, mabaho ba ang soft shell turtles? Kase meron ako dati na hard shell land turtle, di ko alam scientific name, medyo malansa pag tumatae, kaya dapat clean ng clean ng aquarium.

2. Pwede ba ilagay sa batya ang soft shell turtle na 2 feet ang diameter and around 10 inches ang taas? or makakatakas?

3. So naka babad lang sya sa water? nagswiswim ba dapat? How much water level? Pano ba set up nila?

4. Can I put several adults in one container? or several babies in 1 container? or adult and babies together?

5. How can I determine if one is male or female? for adult and hatchlings.

6. Ano best na pagkain na ibibigay?

7. Prone ba sya to be victimized by RATS? or lumalaban?

8. May nakikita ako sa binondo na ganun hitsura like sa pic, eto ba ung nakakain like dun sa restaurant sa binondo? Yan ba ung Aphrodisiac food? Just curious. Di ako kakain. Pero I need to know if yan ung common na kinakain.

Salamat Wink
rafayel

I'm a Mini-Zoo Keeper

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 01:18:07 PM »

Findpro,

I like turtles but Im no expert on this matter but I'll try and give you some input on your queries...

1. Tatanong ko lang, mabaho ba ang soft shell turtles? Kase meron ako dati na hard shell land turtle, di ko alam scientific name, medyo malansa pag tumatae, kaya dapat clean ng clean ng aquarium.

--di naman mabaho, it would be dependent on your water conditions.  mas mabilis silang magdumi sa aquarium kesa sa fishes.

2. Pwede ba ilagay sa batya ang soft shell turtle na 2 feet ang diameter and around 10 inches ang taas? or makakatakas?

-- di naman siya makakatakas sa batya as long as hindi hanggang sa lid yung tubig.  Pero kung may aquarium ka, mas maganda para sa kanya yun.

3. So naka babad lang sya sa water? nagswiswim ba dapat? How much water level? Pano ba set up nila?

-- they are fully aquatic turtle.  Dapat nagswim sila and may ample space cause they can get large.  best one would be similar to a fresh water fish setup.  sand bed, OHF (oversize mo siya for your tank - if you have a 50 gallon tank, get a powerhead thats intended for a 75 gallon).

4. Can I put several adults in one container? or several babies in 1 container? or adult and babies together?

-- several adults could lead to disaster/fatalities.  several babies is ok but when they get bigger, they will try and eat each other.  adult and babies, not sure but judging from the nature of those turtles, its advisable not to.

-- Its quite difficult to determine a male and a female from hatchlings but when they read adulthood its quite more evident.  The females grow up to 24 inches and that makes them much bigger than male soft shell turtles that can only grow up to 12 inches, the maximum weight is 35 lbs.

-- feeder fish, mealworms and even boneless meat.

-- since they are submerged in water, I don't think na magiging problema yung rats.

8. May nakikita ako sa binondo na ganun hitsura like sa pic, eto ba ung nakakain like dun sa restaurant sa binondo? Yan ba ung Aphrodisiac food? Just curious. Di ako kakain. Pero I need to know if yan ung common na kinakain.

-- yep, sadly its the same turtle being served in chinese restos.

Hope my input can help you out a bit.  Nga pala, when you buy hatchlings, try and get the slightly bigger ones.  Wag ka kumuha nung mga small ones (yung shell size eh sinlaki ng piso or smaller).  Try and get ones that are at least the size of 5 pero coin or yung lumang piso (bagong lipunan). madali kasi sial mamatay.  Hatchlings die quickly.

Minds are like parachute, They function only when open
rd_07

this is my option...

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 01:44:35 PM »

----pag meats pinapakain ko ok lang nmn at once in two weeks ako nagpapalit ng 2big nila

-----pwede but not on longterm remember pre kung gano kahaba shell nila ganun din kahaba leeg nila,basta abaot ng baba nila at more -----than 1 ang softshell mo better think twice maakyat nila yan

-----lagay ka ng floating driftwood or khit na anong patungan every morning they bask in the sun

-----you can mix then basta malaki ang tank mo basta ang wagmolang pagsamahin mga breeder mo at babies as in yung less than 2 inch
-----breeder male tend to be very aggressive

-----i am not expert on this part basta when i had mine bumili ako ng 11pcs babies till maging adult sila

-----i feed mine with kataba and chopped pork meat every morning and night

-----i never encountered this pero very defensive sila,kung mangagat sila you can describe it as "tuklaw"

-----turtle soup ba sinasabi mo? madalas kasi ginagamit ng mga chinese na turtle soup is yung asian box turtle

Salamat Wink

spare your t
findpro2005

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 05:38:17 PM »

@rafayel and RD07,

Salamat  Grin

Now Im ready to buy soft shell turtles.
rafayel

I'm a Mini-Zoo Keeper

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 05:39:18 PM »

goodluck findpro! =)

Deydey
All-Star Member

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 06:04:23 PM »

@rd_07 and rafayel salamat sa mga inputs

@findpro2005 Good luck.

Grabe tong site nabubuhay nanaman ang mga interest ko, at may pagtatalunan nanaman kami ng wife ko Grin
rafayel

I'm a Mini-Zoo Keeper

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 12:20:13 PM »

gusto ko nga ulit magkaroon ng softshell eh... pero gusto ko munag unahin yung mga tamed ones na pad madaling may interaction. nangangagat kasi yung softshell eh. Good to see others interested in the torts as well. =)

Deydey
All-Star Member

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 01:08:57 PM »

gusto ko nga ulit magkaroon ng softshell eh... pero gusto ko munag unahin yung mga tamed ones na pad madaling may interaction. nangangagat kasi yung softshell eh. Good to see others interested in the torts as well. =)

When I get a bigger place I'll surely fill it up with animals that I want to take care of.  Dito nga sa place ko sa Makati kahit na maliit yung place ko I found a spot where I can setup a small tank pero I would like to make it a pond type and put in red eareds and a lone koi or a bullhead carp.
rising

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »

may natutunan na naman  ko Grin
drich1385

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 02:24:02 PM »

ayos! ayos! ayos! ayos! ayos! ayos! ayos!
battleground
Idol Member

I don't train them , I work them ...

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 01:32:47 AM »

pano i-sex ang mga softshelled kasi hanggang ngayon naniniwala ako na lalaki ung isang maliit ko at babae yung malaki..kasi ung butas ng pwet nung isa malayo sa puno ng buntot ung isa malapit sa puno so babae ung malaki.. tama ba mga pagong masters?

Wars may come and go , But my soldiers they are eternal - Tupac Shakur
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Pinoy Pet Finder is NOT related to and does NOT endorse any product or service being advertised.

Pinoy Pet Finder will not be liable for any losses or damages you may incur resulting from personal dealings in the forum..
We do not guarantee the credibility and integrity of any member in any way. Transact at your own risk.