Pinoy Pet Finder
June 19, 2019, 04:05:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Pinoy Pet Finder is not related to and does not endorse any product or service being advertised.
Poll
Question: Do you bring your dog to the vet for dental cleaning?
Yes - 10 (15.4%)
No - 31 (47.7%)
Do I really have to? - 24 (36.9%)
Total Voters: 65

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dental care and maintenance for our dogs  (Read 47362 times)
goldengirl
Global Moderator

« on: January 03, 2009, 12:37:18 PM »

Who among us brings their dogs to the vet for regular dental cleaning (prophylaxis)?

Did you know that poor dental condition in dogs is known as a silent killer? Bacteria from the teeth and gums can enter the dog's bloodstream and cause other serious medical conditions including pneumonia or may affect other internal organs like the heart, liver, kidney or the brain.

Just like with humans, twice a year professional cleaning is recommended but if not praticable, at least an annual cleaning should be mandatory. You can schedule this together with the annual check-up with the vet.

In response to one of the poll questions "Do I have to?" -- The answer is yes if you want to add more years of companionship with your dog.

========================================================================================================

PERIODONTITIS IN DOGS

Periodontitis can be seen at almost any age and affects over 80 percent of dogs over three years of age.

Other dental problems can have symptoms similar to that of periodontitis in your pet. Therefore, excluding other diseases is important before establishing a diagnosis of periodontitis. Other diseases may include:

• Gingivitis (inflammation of the gingiva) can be a precursor to periodontitis and looks similar, but does not have deep pockets (as measured by a periodontal probe)
  • Endodontic lesions which can be mixed with or can be precipitated from periodontal lesions
  • Periapical (surrounding tooth) abscesses, fractured teeth and any other cause of tooth pain
  • Fractured mandible secondary to periodontal disease

What to Watch For

Bad breath
Bleeding gums
Tooth loss
Ulcers in the mouth
Loose teeth
Tooth extrusion
Gum recession
Poor appetite

Reprinted from:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/periodontitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 01:45:20 PM by goldengirl » Logged

La coeur a ses raison que La Raison ne connait pas...-- Blaise Pascal
Pinoy Pet Finder
« on: January 03, 2009, 12:37:18 PM »

goldengirl
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 12:55:03 PM »

You can also maximize the longevity of the effects of the professional dental cleaning by observing regular dental hygiene at home. Daily brushing of your dogs' teeth is recommended. But again, if this is not practicable, everyone should aim at brushing their dogs' teeth at least once a week. You can schedule that at your dogs' next bath (clean their ears and clip their nails while you're at it too).

================================================================================================

HOW TO BRUSH YOUR DOG'S TEETH

The first step is to start with a clean, healthy mouth. Good dental hygiene should start with a young pet with healthy new teeth and gums, or after your pet has had a professional dental cleaning.

You will need a soft-bristled tooth brush and veterinary toothpaste (toothpaste specially formulated for dogs). Human toothpastes and baking soda may cause problems. Furthermore, veterinary toothpastes have flavors that are appealing to dogs. Anything other than a bristled tooth brush will not get below the gum line, which is the most important area to brush.

There are several important facts about our pets' mouths that tell us when, where and how to brush. Periodontal disease usually affects the upper, back teeth first and worst. Plaque builds up on the tooth surface daily, especially just under the gum line. It takes less than 36 hours for this plaque to become mineralized and harden into "tartar" (calculus) that cannot be removed with a brush. Because of this progression, brushing should be done daily, with a brush to remove the plaque from under the gum line.

How to brush:

• Start by offering your dog a taste of the veterinary toothpaste. The next time, let him taste the toothpaste, then run your finger along the gums of the upper teeth.
  • Repeat the process with the tooth brush.
  • Get the bristles of the brush along the gum line of the upper back teeth and angle slightly up, so the bristles get under the gum line. Work from back to front, making small circles along the gum lines.
  • It should take you less than 30 seconds to brush your pet's teeth. Do not try to brush the entire mouth at first. If all that your pet lets you brush is the outside of the upper teeth, you are still addressing the most important area of periodontal disease – prevention. If your pet eventually allows you to brush most of his teeth, so much the better.

Don't forget to follow up with praises and hugs so that your dog actually looks forward to brushing time.

Reprinted from:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-brush-your-dog-s-teeth/page1.aspx

*check out the link -- there's a video demonstration there on how to properly brush your dogs' teeth*
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 01:01:32 PM by goldengirl » Logged

BRUNOS BOSS
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 12:58:08 PM »

Thanks for sharing atty sis. Very informative ayos! ayos! ayos!

I want, nobody, nobody but you..clap clap
xtine
Meteor Member

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 04:38:11 PM »

At what age should we start bringing our dogs in for regular teeth cleaning? Do they have to be sedated during the process? And how much would this cost more or less? Smiley

"Breeding means you enter your breed's gene pool and leave footprints for eternity. Take care that the footprints you leave are worthy of being followed." -Carol Sloan
goldengirl
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 05:15:45 PM »

The regular cleaning at home should start as soon as you have brought your puppy home. The earlier you start them on a a dental care regime the easier for the dog because they would be more accepting of the procedure. They will try to wiggle and squirm at first but for as long as you do it little by little and regularly (and make it fun for the pup too) they will learn to accept that it is a normal thing.

The professional cleaning should be done when the pup has shed all its puppy teeth. Once he has his permanent teeth in, the more vigilant you should be about your pup's oral health.

Yes, they do need to be anaesthesized for the procedure unless you're lucky that your dog is really really cooperative (like Hunter  Grin) and doesn't mind the sound of the scaler. My vet charged me Php500 for the procedure, excluding the anaesthesia.

However, if you are lucky to be near one of the Pet One activities, they offer free dental cleaning there as well.   

Shamaro-Tachri
Ancient Member

Mrs Kang said - "What I say IS ALWAYS right"

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 05:40:04 PM »

The regular cleaning at home should start as soon as you have brought your puppy home. The earlier you start them on a a dental care regime the easier for the dog because they would be more accepting of the procedure. They will try to wiggle and squirm at first but for as long as you do it little by little and regularly (and make it fun for the pup too) they will learn to accept that it is a normal thing...

You may get doggy tooth brushes(?) and doggy toothpaste in your local vet or doggy store.

Please take note however that you cannot use HUMAN tooth paste as explained below:

"Do not use the fluoride toothpaste off the store shelves. If you read the toothpaste box, it warns consumers not to swallow it and to watch children under 6 years of age when brushing. This is because fluoride is a highly toxic substance that can poison you if too much is ingested. "

Taken from:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080124165342AAHfPjq

You can then opt to make your own doggy tooth paste.

How? Read on...cowboy...(yeeehaa)

Home made doggy toothpaste

Taken from:

http://www.dog-health-guide.org/caninetoothbrushing.html

"You can make toothpaste at home using one table-spoon baking soda with one teaspoon of water. Use potassium chloride instead of baking soda if you dog has a problem with salt.

Although paste is preferred, you can also try dipping a toothbrush in chicken or beef broth. "

Though you can also provide dry, premium dog food to also lessen the build up of plaque and tar-tar. Providing chew toys and bones can also prevent the build up.

Ikaw Guest...what do you do to maintain your dogs pearly white?

Pam? When and Where and next activity ng petone caravan?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 05:43:13 PM by Shamaro-Tachri » Logged

One of her favorite methods of scaring humans is reaching within herself and pulling out her internal organs, and she has considerable talent for shapeshifting into various terrifying forms. She also has a talent for inducing nightmares in humans, by sticking her finger in their ear and tickling their brains while they sleep.
beigeten
Prehistoric Member

Professional FURyaya

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 08:43:40 PM »

@xtine - Hi TIN!! yay bumped into u again!  applause

@jen - jen...takot ako to get my babies sedated pero brush2 lang kami....waaaaaahhhh......as in takot ako. seriously....

my dogs are my bestfriends
goldengirl
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 08:48:06 PM »

If you have full faith and trust in your vet then it should be ok. Our babies really need to be sedated for the procedure. A couple of minutes lang naman tapos na ang procedure eh. You could try to have them do a professional cleaning without the anaethesia but you have to make sure hindi wriggly ang furbabies mo.

alcaraz
Global Moderator

Chow Power!!!

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 08:54:58 PM »

Ako din, takot ako to have my chows sedated. Chows don't do very well with with that kasi.

So, I brush and scrape their teeth weekly (with a tooth scaler, dental pick and eraser)  and maintain it during the week with dental wipes. They also have drops in their water to reduce plaque and tartar build-up.

I know, I should brush their teeth more often! Sometimes kasi I forget . . . kaya it's easier to use wipes for quick daily use.
Hay . . . hope that doesn't make me a bad, neglectful chow mom!  Sad

Visit our Online Pet Supply Store at http://www.alagapets.com
goldengirl
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 10:00:36 PM »

You're doing way more than most!  applause

Everyone should do what they can to keep their dogs' teeth pearly white! Their licks and kisses would smell a lot better too -- that's the bonus for you!  grin1

beigeten
Prehistoric Member

Professional FURyaya

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 01:30:47 AM »

If you have full faith and trust in your vet then it should be ok. Our babies really need to be sedated for the procedure. A couple of minutes lang naman tapos na ang procedure eh. You could try to have them do a professional cleaning without the anaethesia but you have to make sure hindi wriggly ang furbabies mo.

hhmmm....cge ma try nga ang without sedatives....Smiley

my dogs are my bestfriends
FRITZEE

In LIFE there is no guarantee, only CHOICES....

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 02:36:12 AM »

I just give mine's raw beef knuckles once a week and so far so good sabi ng vet ko ha.... Grin

Gratitude:   quality which the Canine Mongrel seldom lacks;
which the Human Mongrel seldom
xtine
Meteor Member

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 02:54:33 AM »

hi beige! oo nga we meet here again! Smiley pareho tayo takot din ako to have my dogs sedated! please let me know how your babies' teeth-cleaning experience goes!

i also have those doggy-toothbrushes that you can fit on your finger..the problem is, none of my dogs will come near me when I have them on!  ROFL

"Breeding means you enter your breed's gene pool and leave footprints for eternity. Take care that the footprints you leave are worthy of being followed." -Carol Sloan
mirvashstorm

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 11:38:02 AM »

we brush our tzu's teeth everynight before his last meal. we use a Doggy tootpaste. I forgot the brand nasa GF ko kasi yung tzu kasi mas maluwag ang sched nia compared sakin kaya mas may time xa to monitor and care for our dog. maganda yung effect nung constant brushing, mabango yung hininga saka narerelax xa pag brushing time.

Kaso may nakagat ata xang mtigas recently at nputol yung isa sa mga pangil nia. di naman ata xa nasaktan kasi super duper likot pa rin.

pinag agawan ng mga matatanda yung ipin. swerte daw kasi yung Unang bungi ng aso. Swerte sa Sugal DAW
supahmaxx
Champion Member

~~miGranE girL~~

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 10:40:25 PM »

Thanks! This is very informative:)
I have a question.. I give kasi my 4mos mini pin ng denta stix 3x a week. Ok lng ba yun?  Smiley

[IMG]http://i230.photobucket.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Pinoy Pet Finder is NOT related to and does NOT endorse any product or service being advertised.

Pinoy Pet Finder will not be liable for any losses or damages you may incur resulting from personal dealings in the forum..
We do not guarantee the credibility and integrity of any member in any way. Transact at your own risk.